State of New Jersey Seal Official Site of The State of New Jersey

Fishing and Hunting License and Permit Information

Get your license online or at a license agent.


Having your current e-mail address in the license database will help us keep you informed of conditions affecting hunting and fishing.

Log in and select Edit Customer Profile to make sure your information is up to date.

Fishing and Hunting License and Permit Information

Get Your Licenses and Permits Online!
NOTE: Licenses and permits are printed at home; licenses and permits on durable green stock can be ordered for a $2.00 fee (except for Firearm Licenses which are still mailed at no cost).

Get Your Licenses and Permits At A License Agent!
NEW! Use the License Agent Locator App To Find An Agent Near You!

License System FAQs

Deer, Bear, Turkey, Fox, Coyote, and Beaver/Otter Permit Information

Hunting Licenses
Fishing Licenses
License Agents

Marine Licenses and Permits
NJ Saltwater Registry

Boat Ramp Permits
Horseback Riding Permits
Wildlife Management Area Permits

Exotic and Nongame Wildlife Permits
Captive Game Information and Permits


New Jersey Fish and Wildlife issues the licenses, stamps and permits required for hunting, fishing and trapping. The first license, a non-resident hunting license for $10.50, was introduced in 1902. The first resident hunting license was required in 1909, hunting license at a cost of $1.15. In 1915 the first fishing license was required, enabling law enforcement to be adequately funded.

Revenues derived from these sales support, in whole or in part, the operations of the agency. This work includes the operation of two fish hatcheries and associated stocking programs, a pheasant farm, enforcement of fish and wildlife regulations, habitat protection, fish and wildlife research, wildlife management area maintenance and improvement, education, and other programs and activities. The number of licenses sold also figures in the amount of federal grants money the state receives from the federal Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Programs.

Link to License Website
Speed Up Your Transaction by Having Your Customer Account (CID#) Up to Date

NOTE: Anyone needing assistance using the license Web site should e-mail

The Electronic Licensing System

New Jersey uses a web-based system to issue licenses and permits. The system is used by license agents and can also be used by individuals from a computer or mobile device. The system maintains a database with a “customer profile” identified by a lifetime Conservation Identification Number (CID#) for each individual obtaining a license or permit.

Purchasers of hunting and fishing licenses and permits have their profile identified by a lifetime Conservation Identification Number (CID#). This unique number appears on all licenses, permits and stamps. A customer account and CID# is created on the license website, or at an agent the first time a person purchases a license. (See CID information below.)

Licenses and permits are printed at home; licenses/permits on durable green stock can be ordered for a $2.00 fee (except for Firearm Licenses which are mailed at no cost).

A NJ Driver License is required for resident licenses purchased online.

Information on permits for various hunting or trapping seasons (deer, turkey, coyote, beaver, etc.), and other related permits, is available on the Permit Information page.

The NJ Child Support Certification Requirement

License purchasers are required to complete the NJ Child Support Certification each calendar year. Certification can be completed on the License Website before visiting a license agent (recommended), or it will be completed at an agent location. (Those purchasing a NJ license or permit on-line will see a link to the certification page.)

See the NJ Child Support Certification page for more information.

The Conservation Identification Number (CID#)

The license system identifies customers by a lifetime Conservation Identification Number (CID#). This number is used on all licenses and permits. The first time you log into the license website or visit an agent you will be asked for identifying information to establish an account (profile) and CID#. Licenses or permits not requiring hunter education or a previous year’s license/permit can then be purchased from your home system. It is recommended you establish an account and receive your CID# before going to an agent for any license or permit purchases.

How To Create A CID#

To create a Conservation ID Number (CID#) use the license website:

On that site follow these steps:

1. Under “Customer Login”, enter Last Name and Date of Birth. Click NEXT.

2. On next screen select an ID type from the dropdown menu. For adults, select Drivers License or Social Security Number. For youths, enter first name, then select Social Security Number and enter the number below (Full Drivers License or Last Four (4) of SSN). Check you are not a robot and SUBMIT.

3. A message will pop up saying “no matching customers found”. At the bottom of this message select the option to “CREATE NEW CUSTOMER RECORD”.

4. This will bring you to the “New Customer” information page. Fill in all required information and save.

5. At this point, you will be taken to your customer home page. At the top of the page will be the newly assigned CID number used to register for the hunter education and all future transactions.

Changes to an address, phone, and certain personal information can be made online or by an agent. Name, Driver License Number and Social Security Number information can only be changed by Fish and Wildlife employees; contact for assistance.

General Fishing and Hunting License Information

All NJ fishing and hunting licenses expire on December 31 regardless of when purchased. Deer permits for zones where the season extends into the next calendar year remain valid, but the current year’s license is required. Waterfowl Stamps and HIP Certification become available on July 1 and are valid until the close of migratory bird seasons the following spring.

Resident Licenses
A person must have actually lived in New Jersey for the six months immediately prior to obtaining a resident license.

Licenses for Active Service Personnel
A person who is on active duty in the armed services of the United States is entitled to fish, hunt or trap with a resident license. Licenses may be obtained with proof of active duty at an agent location, or contact

Licenses for Disabled Veterans
Free hunting licenses, stamps and permits are available for resident veterans with a service-connected disability. Documentation of currently receiving benefits for a service connected disability and honorable discharge must be presented to obtain a free license. See the Disabled Veteran License Information page for more details.

Licenses for National Guard Members
Eligible NJ National Guard personnel are entitled to free licenses, permits and stamps. Further information can be obtained by e-mailing MSG (Ret.) Robert Greco at or writing to: NJ Department of Military/Veteran Affairs, 101 Eggert Crossing Rd., Lawrenceville, NJ 08648, or call 609-530-6866.


Anyone age 16 and above must have a valid license to fish the fresh waters of New Jersey with a handline, rod and line or bow and arrow. This includes privately owned lakes and other waters. There are also Freshwater Fisheries Permits for such things as stocking private ponds.
More Information


Obtaining regular hunting and trapping licenses requires proof of a completed hunter education course or a previous year’s resident license. Licenses need to be purchased at an agent if a record of such documentation is not in the system’s database. The agent will enter the information into the database. Nonresidents ONLY may use the Nonresident License Documentation Form to make hunting and trapping licenses available for purchase.

Once documentation of a previous year’s hunting license or hunter education is entered in the system, licenses can be purchased online and printed at home. Licenses purchased at an agent are printed on durable, waterproof stock. Licenses purchased online can also be printed on durable stock and mailed for an optional $2.00 fee; firearm licenses are always mailed as required by law.

Those without documentation readily available can consider an Apprentice License.

Licenses must be openly displayed in the middle of the back on outer clothing.
More Information


New Jersey does not have a recreational saltwater license but does require licenses for some activities – see the Marine License Information page.

Note that a Shellfish License and is required for harvesting of all species of benthic mollusks (with the exception of conchs, which are addressed in the commercial marine fisheries regulations), including, but not limited to, hard and soft clams, surf clams, oysters, bay scallops and mussels. See the Shellfish License information section of the Marine License Information page for details.


myNJ Portal Logo

Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2023
Department of Environmental Protection
P. O. Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625
Last Update: May 10th, 2023