The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s Fish and Wildlife Program issues a variety of permits pertaining to exotic and nongame wildlife species. Below are application forms for the initial permit and for subsequent renewal permits.
Exotic and Nongame Wildlife Species Regulations, N.J.A.C. (pdf, 85kb)
Exotic and Nongame Species Requiring a Permit for Possession (pdf, 26kb)
Exotic and Nongame Species Exempted from Required Possession Permit (pdf, 27kb)
Exotic and Nongame Species Permit FAQs
PERMIT RENEWAL INFORMATION
All Exotic and Nongame permits expire December 31 of the year issued (unless otherwise noted). Annual Renewal – Report Form Applications must be received by January 31. If not received by January 31 permit holders will be subject to penalties and fines.
All fees must be submitted with the hard copy application.
IF SUBMITTING YOUR RENEWAL VIA E-MAIL OR FAX, YOUR APPLICATION FEE PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED IN ORDER TO PROCESS. NJ Fish and Wildlife, at this time, does not provide payment by credit card services. NO PERMIT FEES WILL BE WAIVED FOR ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
For renewals, please note that it is essential that you supply complete information including your Permit Number/Numbers and Permit Category/Categories. The first four digits in your permit number designate the year of issue, for example 2021072 was issued in the year 2021. The permit number is located in the upper right hand corner of your permit.
It is imperative that your most recently issued permit information is on the application. You must also include your name, company or institution name, and your complete mailing address. This information must be provided or your application process will be delayed. If you have a Pet Shop – Retail Sales or Animal Dealer – Wholesale Sales Permit with a [TEMP] please also indicate that information on your annual renewal – report application.
Permit Category abbreviations are as follows:
|PS = Pet Shop – Retail Sales||AD = Animal Dealer – Wholesale Sales|
|SH = Scientific Holding||ES = Endangered Species|
|EX = Animal Exhibitor||TH = Animal Theatrical Agency|
|ZO = Zoological Holding||SC = Scientific Collecting|
|DC = Depredation Control||SB = Migratory [nongame] Bird Salvage|
|SW = Nongame Wildlife [other than migratory birds] Salvage|
Note: A Scientific Collecting Permit is required to handle or attempt to handle native wildlife for the purpose of surveys, sampling, tagging, or species identification. A Salvage Permit is required to possess native, wild animals found dead. For nongame species, a Depredation Control Permit is required to remove native bird nests. A federal permit is also required to remove active native bird nests.
Click here to view contacts for specific Scientific Collecting and Salvage Permits.
It is your responsibility to renew your permit(s) prior to January 31. If you have any questions regarding your exotic and nongame permits, call 609-223-6055 or email NJWildlifePermits@dep.nj.gov
For questions regarding your Individual Hobby permit (pets only), call 609-292-9591 or email NJWildlifePermits@dep.nj.gov.
2023 EXOTIC and NONGAME WILDLIFE RENEWAL PERMIT APPLICATION FORMS
- Animal Dealer – Wholesale Sales Renewal Application (pdf, 304kb)
- Animal Exhibitor Renewal Application (pdf, 289kb)
- Animal Theatrical Agency Renewal Application (pdf, 287kb)
- Bird Breeder Renewal Application (pdf, 219kb)
- Depredation Control Renewal Application (pdf, 258kb)
- Endangered Species Renewal Application (pdf, 223kb)
- Migratory Bird Salvage Renewal Application (pdf, 230kb)
- Salvage Wildlife (Other than Migratory Birds) Renewal Application (pdf, 230kb)
- Pet Shop – Retail Sales Renewal Application (pdf, 329kb)
- Scientific Collecting Renewal Application (pdf, 320kb)
- Scientific Holding Renewal Application (pdf, 232kb)
- Zoological Holding Renewal Application (pdf, 257kb)
EXOTIC and NONGAME INITIAL PERMIT APPLICATION FORMS
- Individual Hobby Wildlife Species Possession Permit Application (for pets) (pdf, 944kb) *
- Animal Dealer – Wholesale Sales Initial Application (pdf, 272kb)
- Depredation Control Initial Application (pdf, 310kb)
- Endangered Species Initial Application (pdf, 259kb)
- Migratory Bird Salvage Initial Application (pdf, 270kb)
- Pet Shop – Retail Sales Initial Application (pdf, 343kb)
- Salvage Wildlife (Other than Migratory Birds) Initial Application (pdf, 286kb)
- Scientific Collecting Initial Application (pdf, 376kb)
- Scientific Holding Initial Application (pdf, 305kb)
- Zoological Holding Initial Application (pdf, 361kb)
* If you have lost your Individual Hobby Permit Renewal Form, please email NJWildlifePermits@dep.nj.gov for another copy. Alternatively, you may send us a copy of your last year’s permit along with the correct permit fee and indicate the status and number of each species. If there are any changes, please correct them on the copy of your last year’s permit. If you have any questions, please call 609-292-9591.