If you are a pet owner living in bear country, follow these tips to keep your pet safe and to avoid attracting bears.
- Clean up after your pets.
- Do not feed pets outdoors. If you choose to feed them outside, immediately pick up any leftover pet food and remove bowls after they have finished.
- Store pet food in bear-resistant containers inside of a secure area, like your basement, garage or a secure shed.
- If your pet stays outdoors, such as in a rabbit hutch or a dog pen, bring your pet inside at night.
- Animal pens should be located at least 50 yards from forest tree lines or other sources of cover for bears.
- Dogs that approach bears may be injured or killed. Walk dogs on a leash if you live in bear country. Keep dogs indoors or in a secure kennel at night.
- If you live in areas with high black bear populations, use motion sensor lighting or turn on an outdoor light and check the yard before taking pets outside at night.