Frequently Asked Questions for Refrigeration Facilities and Chillers


Who must register and report?

Facilities with a refrigeration system and/or chillers with 50 pounds or more of a high-GWP refrigerant are required to register their facility, keep records of their refrigerant usage, and report that information to the DEP. You can register and report on the GHGMR Refrigeration page.

Which Refrigerants are considered high-GWP?

Any refrigerant with a global warming potential, more than 150 times or greater global warming potential of carbon dioxide. View the full list of applicable refrigerants .

I have two refrigeration systems that each have a full charge below 50 pounds but when I add their full charges together, they add up to more than 50 pounds. Do I need to register my facility?

A facility with two refrigeration systems that each have a full charge below 50 pounds does not have to register. The threshold applies to individual systems, not when adding multiple systems together.

Only, facilities with one or more refrigeration systems with a full charge greater than or equal to 50 pounds of a high-GWP refrigerant needs to register.

Does the GHGMRR apply to air conditioning and comfort cooling systems?

Air conditioning systems are considered exempt from this rule unless they use a chiller system. Chiller systems used for comfort cooling with a full charge of 50 pounds or more of high-GWP refrigerants are still applicable to the GHGMRR.

I have a chiller unit with multiple circuits, where each circuit contains less than 50 pounds of refrigerants at full charge, but when combined add up to more than 50 pounds Do I need to register and report my refrigerant usage under the GHGMRR?

Chiller units with multiple circuits where each circuit contains less than 50 pounds of refrigerant at full charge does not need to register or report. You would only need to report if any individual refrigeration circuit has more than 50 pounds of high-GWP refrigerant at full charge.

A refrigeration system can have multiple refrigerant circuits. So, when we look at the definitions:

Refrigeration system means stationary, non-residential equipment that is an industrial process refrigeration, commercial refrigeration, or other refrigeration appliance, with a single refrigerant circuit that requires 50 pounds or more of any combination of high-GWP refrigerant to maintain normal operating characteristics and conditions. Refrigeration system does not include an air-conditioning appliance.


Refrigerant circuit means the parts of a refrigeration system that are normally connected to each other (or are separated by isolation valves) and are designed to contain a high-GWP refrigerant. A single refrigerant circuit is defined by all piping and components that use refrigerant from a common reservoir of a high-GWP refrigerant.


What forms of payment are accepted?

After registering you will be given the option to pay via eCheck, pay via credit card or select “bill me” to have a bill sent to your address.

To pay by mail you must select “bill me” and wait for a paper invoice to arrive to you by mail. When you receive the invoice, the bottom portion must be mailed back along with the check for the registration fee.

Can I pay online if I have already selected to pay by mail?

Yes, you can still pay online by selecting “Pay a Paper Invoice” on the home page of NJDEP Online Here you will be able to locate your bill by entering the 9-digit invoice number at the top-right of your bill.

Read the step-by-step instructions for online bill payment.

Can I pay my bill online if I have not received my invoice yet?

Yes, you can pay your bill online by following these steps:

  1. Log into the NJDEP Online account that you used to register your facility
  2. Open the blue “Payments” tab at the top of the screen
  3. Select “all bills” in the “Bill Type” drop-down menu, then click “search.”
  4. Select the radio button next to the bill you wish to pay, then select “continue.” You will then be given the options to select the payment type of your choosing and pay your bill.

How often will I be billed?

The GHGMRR registration costs $400 and is good for a period of five years. Your facility must also report on its refrigerant usage every year, but there is no fee for reporting.

If I accidentally register a facility that did not need to be registered, can I receive a refund?

The registration fee cannot be prorated or refunded. If you need to withdraw a registration, please download and fill out the Refrigeration Facility Registration Change Form .


How do I register my facility?

To register a facility, you must create an account and register through NJDEP Online. For step-by-step instructions please view the Refrigeration Registration Instructions guidance document. To determine applicability of your refrigeration systems and for more information on the rule, please visit the GHGMR Refrigerants page.

I need to withdraw my registration of a facility that I have already registered, what can I do? (Either due to a duplicate registration or the registration of a facility that is not applicable to the rule.)

Please use the following link to download the Refrigeration Facility Registration Change Form .

In the Reason for Registration Change Form, identify which facility you wish to eliminate from the registration by including the facility ID number (ex: Y1234) and stating the reason for withdrawing the registration.

Submit the Refrigeration Facility Registration Change Form to

Keep in mind, once the registration fee has been paid, the registration fee cannot be prorated or refunded.

After completing the “Location Confirmation,” should I select one of the facilities listed or “Create New Site?”

If the Site Name and Site Location of one of the facilities in the “Partial Matches” table matches your facility’s information, please select that site by clicking on the adjoining radio button. Otherwise scroll to the bottom of the Site Selection screen and click on the “Create New Site” checkbox, then click the “Continue” button.

Does a responsible official need to certify my facilities registration?

No, the registration does not need to be certified by a responsible official, but the annual refrigerant usage report does.

I am having trouble deciding what to enter in the “municipality" field while registering my facility, what can I do?

Make sure that you are using the correct municipality. For example, some facilities may have a mailing address of Princeton, but the actual municipality is West Windsor. To look up the municipality you may use the Municipal Boundaries of NJ mapping tool.

If I have two facilities at different locations with one TAX ID, can I register both under a single TAX ID?

The Refrigeration Facility Registration system creates a Facility ID based on physical location. So, one TAX ID can have multiple refrigeration facilities registered, provided they are at different physical addresses.

What do I do if I need to change or update the information for my facility after I have already registered?

If the facility needs to change or update information on the GHGMRR registration, the owner or operator of the facility must inform the Department and complete the Refrigeration Facility Registration Change Form .

Please update all facility information on the form and submit it to


How do I report my refrigerant usage?

You must complete an annual report at NJDEP Online. For step-by-step instructions, please view the Refrigeration Annual Reporting Instructions guidance document. The annual report is due April 1st of every year. For example, the report for 2022 will be due on April 1st, 2023.

For the 2022 reporting period, you must report usage from October 1st– December 31st. Subsequent reporting is conducted on a calendar year basis (January 1 – December 31)

I am already reporting refrigeration equipment under N.J.S.A. 34:7-1 et. seq., am I required to also report under the new GHGMRR (N.J.A.C. 7:27E)?

The requirements to register refrigeration equipment under the rules of N.J.A.C. 7:27E are for the purposes of monitoring and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions. This registration process is separate from the requirements of N.J.S.A. 34:7-1 et. seq. ENGINEER AND FIREMAN LICENSING; BOILERS, PRESSURE VESSELS AND REFRIGERATING PLANTS.

Refrigeration facilities that meet the threshold requirements for both regulations must register under both programs.

If my facility receives its supply of refrigerants from a service vendor, but no refrigerants are purchased directly for the facility itself, do I report any purchased refrigerants?

The intent of reporting “purchased” refrigerants under the GHGMRR is to identify new stock of refrigerant at the facility. It is important to identify refrigerant supplied by the vendor as refrigerant purchased even though you are indirectly buying refrigerant from the service vendor. This number is used in a mass balance equation to calculate the GHG emissions from each facility.

Can a consulting firm certify an annual refrigeration usage report?

No, an annual refrigeration usage report must be certified by a responsible official at the facility, and cannot be certified by a consultant, even if that consultant had filled out the report.

If I have one system in my facility that has a full charge over 50 pounds of high GWP refrigerants, but smaller systems that is below the 50 pounds threshold, should I also report the smaller systems?

It is highly recommended to voluntarily report the refrigerant usage for all systems regardless of size, if any one system at the facility is above the reporting threshold, especially if the systems use the same refrigerant. However, only systems having a full charge greater than or equal to 50 pounds of a high-GWP refrigerant need to be registered.

What is the difference between “low” and “medium” temperatures?

Low temperature refrigeration means a commercial or industrial refrigeration system used for frozen products.

Medium temperature refrigeration means a commercial or industrial refrigeration system used for chilled product.

What is the difference between commercial refrigeration and industrial process refrigeration?

Commercial Refrigeration means a refrigeration appliance used in the retail food and cold storage warehouse sectors.

Industrial Process Refrigeration means a complex customized appliances used in the chemical, pharmaceutical, petrochemical, and manufacturing industries that are directly linked to the industrial process.

How do I certify as “Responsible Official” if there is no certification ribbon displaying on the Certification Screen?

Individual with Direct Knowledge is the default “Access Type” assigned by NJDEP Online.

Below are the steps to make sure that the appropriate person will be able to certify as Responsible Official.

Note: The role of Responsible Official cannot be assigned by one person to another. Responsible Official access is self-assigned.

  1. To obtain the “Access Type” of Responsible Official, that person must create a account.
  2. Make sure the Responsible Official has the correct facility ID number (Y####).
  3. Then add the appropriate facility to their account by following the instructions in steps 1-5.
  4. Then change their “Access Type” from Individual with Direct Knowledge to Responsible Official by following steps 6-8.
  5. Once the Responsible Official has the facility setup on their end, you can send the notification for certification to that person.

Does the GHG Refrigerant Report count as the EPA GHG deliverable or does a facility owner need to submit a separate report within the EPA e-GGRT database?

The GHG Refrigerant Report does not count as the EPA GHG deliverable. Facilities required to submit refrigerant usage data or GHG data to the DEP or to the EPA must submit that data to each entity.