Refrigeration Systems and Chillers
Facilities with a refrigeration system and/or chillers requiring 50 pounds or more of a high-GWP refrigerant are required to register their facility, keep records of their refrigerant usage, and report that information to the Department. This information is used by the Department to calculate emissions from maintenance of and leaks from these sources.
A high-GWP refrigerant is any compound or blend of compounds with a 100-year GWP value equal to or greater than 150. The Department maintains a list of high-GWP refrigerants and their 100-year GWP values, for informational purposes.
Refrigeration Registration and Reporting Webinar
View the November 17, 2022 webinar recording on refrigeration facility registration and annual refrigerant reporting. This webinar recording reviews the registration and reporting process required by the Greenhouse Gas Monitoring and Reporting Rule and includes the question-and-answer session.
Webinar Clarification Note: A refrigeration system can have multiple refrigerant circuits. A chiller with two refrigerant circuits will identify one piece of equipment as the refrigeration system in the annual refrigerant usage report. This clarification note pertains to a question at the 1 hour 7-minute mark in the webinar recording on how to handle reporting for a chiller with two independent refrigerant circuits.
Watch the webinar recording below.
List of Refrigerants
List of high-GWP refrigerants and their 100-year GWP value:
Applicable Rules: N.J.A.C. 7:27E – Subchapter 2 REGISTRATION AND REPORTING FOR REFRIGERATION SYSTEMS
1st Reporting year begins on October 1, 2022 or after installation (whichever date is later).
1st Reporting year ends on December 31, 2022
Subsequent reporting is conducted on a calendar year basis (January 1 – December 31)
Registration Fee = $400 for a 5-year registration
October 1st facilities with existing refrigeration systems must register at NJDEPonline.com;
New facilities installed after June 21, 2022, must register 90 days after installation at NJDEPonline.com.
Registration Change Form: If there is a change to the information on the registration, the owner or operator of the facility must advise the Department on the Refrigeration Facility Registration Change Form within 120 days after the change.
List of refrigerants and their 100-year GWP values on its website, for informational purposes on the NJDEP AQES website.
For step-by-step instructions on how to register your refrigeration facility please view the Refrigeration Registration Instructions guidance document.
What to report on
Report refrigerant usage by April 1, 2023, at NJDEPonline.com. The facility must annually report the following information:
- Facility Identification Number;
- Facility contact person’s name, title, phone number, and email address;
- Refrigeration system identification number;
- Refrigeration system installation date;
- Equipment type (commercial refrigeration, industrial process refrigeration, or other refrigeration);
- Equipment manufacturer;
- Equipment model or description;
- Equipment model year;
- The serial number(s) of the equipment or component, present and accessible. When the equipment or component is part of an assembly without a serial number, does not have an individual serial number, or is not accessible after assembly, the physical location of the equipment must be recorded in enough detail to permit positive identification;
- Temperature classification (low temperature refrigeration system, medium temperature refrigeration system, or other);
- Full charge of the refrigeration system (in pounds);
- Type of high-GWP refrigerant(s) used;
- The total weight in pounds of each type of high-GWP refrigerant that the facility purchased during the reporting period;
- The total weight in pounds of each type of high-GWP refrigerant that was charged into a refrigeration system during the reporting period, but was not part of an initial refrigerant charge;
- The total weight in pounds of each type of high-GWP refrigerant that was recovered from a refrigeration system during the reporting period;
- The total weight in pounds of each type of high-GWP refrigerant that was stored in inventory at the facility, or stored at a different location for use by the facility, on the last day of the reporting period; and
- The total weight in pounds of each type of high-GWP refrigerant that was shipped by the facility during the reporting period to be reclaimed or destroyed.